Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Haters

Why is is that people always want to bring you down?  There is a guy at work who I run into periodically in the course of the day whose wife will be graduating from the local public university in May.  She is scheduling interviews for medical school as we speak.

Up until yesterday, I have been sharing pieces of my plans with him, and inquiring about how his wife is doing.  Yesterday, he asks me if I'm sure that the classes I'm taking at my (smaller, private university) will transfer to her school.  Honestly, I had considered transferring after the first semester, but immediately realized how much I liked where I was once I got started.

Anyway, I said that I was sure they'd transfer either way as both schools have the same accreditation.  He gave me a strange look as he said, "You'd better check into that.  My wife checked it out, and she doesn't think they will transfer."

Ok.  First, who the hell cares?  I don't plan on transferring now anyway.  Second, he said it in the way that a little kid might gloat about how much better his backpack is than yours.  Can insecurity reduce you to passing judgement on someone you don't even know?  I've never been anything but supportive and hopeful in my comments about his wife.


I didn't accuse him of this... who knows, I might have misread the situation completely.  However, I have noticed that I get ALOT of half-compliments and skeptical encouragement from people when I tell them what I am doing back in school.  Granted, I have a working-class job and a working-class income, but does that automatically imply that I must have a third-class intellect?

This kind of crap, while irritating, just makes me more passionate about my goals.  You don't have to support me, but PLEASE, don't waste your breath projecting your own hang-ups onto me;  I've got enough problems of my own without having to deal with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment